Experience the festivities at Hongbao River 2022, one of Singapore's largest Chinese New Year festival at Gardens by the Bay from 30 Jan to 6 Feb 2022!
Venue: Gardens by the Bay
Dates: 30 Jan - 6 Feb 2022
Admission: Free, registration required
Singapore's Largest Chinese New Year festival, River Hongbao, is back with new festivities and programmes to look forward to. River Hongbao 2022 will be happening at Gardens by the Bay for the second consecutive year.
The highly-anticipated lantern displays feature iconic scenes of celebration as we usher in the Year of the Tiger. Join the celebration with your family at the heart of the festival or enjoy the same through various digital experiences lined up over weeks leading up to the Chinese New Year season.
This year’s lantern displays feature iconic scenes of celebration each with its own theme related to Prosperity, Love, Fortune, Harmony among others.
Apart from the "must-have" God of Fortune, you can also expect the following lantern displays
- Flower Blessings: Visitors can offer blessings or make wishes by releasing floating flowers with LED lights on the Dragonfly Lake.
- Giant Revolving Lantern: The display concept is inspired by “Zou Ma Deng” (走马灯), or otherwise known as “Running Horse Lantern”, such traditional revolving lantern typically depict scenes of leaders riding horses.
- Wishing Hearts: The design of heart-shaped arches with floral motifs represent the theme of the wishing well “Gan En De Xin” (感恩的心), which means thankful hearts. You are invited to throw coins or banknotes and make some wishes for yourself and loved ones. To make the wishing more fun, have a go at striking the bells of blessings with your coins.
- Roaring Tigers And Dragon: A pair of regal tigers on the hills and a dragon rising from the water form this majestic lantern set situated on the lake. As spring arrives with new blessings, let us welcome the Year of the Tiger together with the roars of the tigers and dragon!
- Rising After Challenges: With music and dance steps, this display wishes all “Bu Bu Gao Sheng” (步步高升) – which signifies rising to greater success after overcoming challenges. The piano at the front of this lantern set piece is an interactive floor piano. Visitors are welcomed to dance on the giant piano keys
See more details of the lantern displays.
Nightly Festive Shows
Chope your seats for the nightly performances at the River Hongbao central stage. There will be different music, song and dance performances each night featuring the crowd- favourite Getai shows, action-packed martial arts display and performances by our local artistes.
Performances will also be shown live on River Hongbao’s official Facebook page – @riverhongbaosg. See the schedule below
- 30 Jan (8 pm - 9.30 pm): Opening Ceremony
- 31 Jan (10.30 pm - 12 am): Chinese New Year's Eve
- 1 Feb (8.30 pm - 10 pm): Dance Galore Night
- 2 Feb (8.30 pm - 10 pm): Xinyao Night
- 3 & 4 Feb (8.15 pm - 10 pm): Getai Night
- 5 & 6 Feb (9 pm - 10 pm): Singapore Talent Night
Exhibition - Nian Hua: Changing Times, Unchanging Aspirations
With the theme “Nian Hua: Changing Times, Unchanging Aspirations”, this year’s exhibition takes visitors on a journey through time to find out more about traditional Chinese art and painting. Be sure to have your phones ready to participate in an escape-style mini-game, simply look for QR codes next to artefacts scattered around the exhibition hall to trigger your first clue. Get the full experience from home with the virtual 360 version of this exhibition.
This year, River Hongbao will feature kids-friendly rides and carnival games from the Double-Story Horse Carousel to a giant Inflatable Playground, Robotic Rides, Pirate Ship and Trackless Train rides.
Venue and Location of Attractions
Hongbao River 2022 will be happening throughout Gardens by the Bay. From the attached map, you can see that most of the lanterns will be situated at the SuperTree Grove but there will also be lanterns at the Flower Dome, Dragonfly Pond - click here to download the map.
While the event is free, you will need to pre-register for a timeslot before attending the event. Tickets will be released for registration from 19 Jan 2022, 11 am onwards.
Register for your ticket here.
Each session has strictly controlled numbers so each person is only permitted to register for one session per day, with a maximum of 5 pax per booking. Kindly register for all pax attending, regardless of age, as 1 unique QR code will be issued for each individual.
NOTE: Do correctly indicate the number of children aged 12 years and under when making your ticket selection as they have only a limited no. of slots for unvaccinated children. Proof of the child’s age will be required for verification at check-points.
A confirmation email with QR code(s) for entry into event will be sent to the email address given during registration. Simply present the confirmation email with QR code(s), either through mobile or printed hardcopy for check-in on the actual event day.
Don't Be Too Early But Don't Be Late - Timeslots
You may only start queuing for your allocated time slot 30 mins before and 30 mins after your scheduled time and all visitors will be allowed entry only once during their time slot.
Pre-registered visitors who arrive after check-in counters close may be rejected entry. When your visiting time slot is up, please exit safely and quickly. No extension of time slot is allowed.
Click here if you can't see the table above.
While we have not visited, but here are some tips that you should consider if you are visiting.
- Bring water for yourself and the kids.
- Mosquito patches will definitely be helpful to avoid bites
- It is an open area with limited cover if it rains, so raincoats or umbrellas will be helpful
- Avoid bringing the pram - baby-carry if you need to.
We will update this once we have more insights into event or if you feel like contributing your thoughts, feel free to leave a note in the Community Forum too!