Here's a guide to the school holidays and public holidays in Singapore for 2023. We even show you when to take leave to maximise your holidays!
Updated 19 Oct: Updated school holidays and terms for 2023
Fail to plan and plan to fail - the same applies for holidays! It's never too early to start planning for the holidays and this list of school and public holidays will help you!
This list is for 2023, click here if you are looking for the list in 2022.
1. School Holidays 2023
Primary 1, Kindergarten 1 and secondary school students at Ministry of Education (MOE) schools will begin the 2023 school year on 3 Jan 2023. While students in Kindergarten 2 and from Primary 2 to 6 will report to school a day later on 4 Jan 2023.
The school holidays for Primary & Secondary schools are
- March Holidays: 11 Mar - 19 Mar 2023
- June Holidays: 27 May - 25 Jun 2023
- September Holidays: 2 Sep - 10 Sep 2023
- Year-end Holidays: 18 Nov - 31 Dec 2023
There will also be four scheduled school holidays for the 2023 school year: Youth Day, the day after National Day, Teachers’ Day and Children’s Day.
- Youth Day: 2 Jul 2023 (Mon, 3 Jul will be a school holiday)
- Day After National Day: 10 Aug 2023
- Teachers' Day: 1 Sep 2023
- Children's Day: 6 Oct 2023
2. Public Holidays
Singapore will have six long public holiday weekends in 2023, including one that stretches over four days in January. The Ministry of Manpower on 8 April 2022 released the dates for Singapore's public holidays in 2023.
- New Year's Day: 1 Jan, Sunday
- Chinese New Year: 22 & 23 Jan, Sunday & Monday
- Good Friday: 7 Apr, Friday
- Hari Raya Puasa: 22 Apr, Saturday
- Labour Day: 1 May, Monday
- Vesak Day: 2 Jun, Saturday
- Hari Raya Haji: 29 Jun, Thursday
- National Day: 9 Aug, Wednesday
- Deepavali: 12 Nov, Sunday
- Christmas Day, 25 Dec, Monday
*Vesak Day was revised to 2 Jun 2023 from 3 Jun 2023 as changed by MOM.
3. School Calendar 2023
The school calendar for primary and secondary are as follows
- Term 1: 3 Jan - 10 Mar 2023
- Term 2: 20 Mar - 26 May 2023
- Term 3: 26 Jun - 1 Sep 2023
- Term 4: 11 Sep - 17 Nov 2023
4, Maximise Your Holidays
There will be SEVEN long weekends next year, according to the list of gazetted public holidays announced by the Ministry of Manpower.
Eight of the 11 public holidays fall on a Friday, Sunday or Monday. As New Year’s Day and Deepavali fall on a Sunday, the following Monday will be a public holiday. Chinese New Year falls on consecutive days on Sunday and Monday, thus the following Tuesday is a Public Holiday making it a 4 day-long weekend.
Take note of the following long weekends to plan your holidays in 2023
- 31 Dec 2022 - 2 Jan 2023, Sat - Mon (3 days): New Year Day
- 21 Jan - 24 Jan 2023, Sat - Tue (4 days): Chinese New Year
- 7 Apr - 9 Apr 2023, Fri - Sun (3 days): Good Friday
- 29 Apr - 1 May 2023: Sat - Mon (3 days): Labour Day
- 2 Jun - 4 Jun: Fri - Sun (3 days): Vesak Day
- 11 Nov - 13 Nov 2023: Sat - Mon (3 days): Deepavali
- 23 Dec - 25 Dec 2023: Sat - Mon (3 days): Christmas Day
You can also choose to take a day's leave (Fri, 30 Jun) to enjoy a 4 day holiday over the Hari Raya Haji holiday
- 29 Jun - 2 Jul 2023, Thu - Sun (4 days), Hari Raya Haji