SHECARES@SCWO is a one-stop centre providing holistic victim support, including a helpline, pro bono legal assistance, counselling, and referral to Police.
Venue: 96 Waterloo Street, Singapore 187967
Launch Of SHECARES@SCWO
Singapore’s first one-stop support centre for victims or survivors of online harms, SHECARES@SCWO, has officially opened on 19 January 2023. The centre is launched by non-profit SG Her Empowerment (SHE) in collaboration with the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO). Read on to find out more on what SHECARES@SCWO does and the support services that the centre provides:
Focus On Girls & Women & Those Who Do Not Know How To Seek Help
SHECARES@SCWO will have a particular focus on girls and women, who face different types of harms targeted at them based on their gender, such as sexual harassment, stalking, and non-consensual intimate image sharing, and feel less safe online compared to men.
The centre also fills in an identified gap for victims of online harms who do not know how to seek help. This builds on findings from a 2022 sensing poll by the Sunlight Alliance for Action to tackle online harms that found 61% of women in Singapore are not aware of how to seek help when they encounter online harms.
Telephone Helpline, Textline, Pro-Bono Legal Assistance & Counselling Services
Photo Credits: SCWO
SHECARES@SCWO seeks to provide support to victims or survivors who have experienced harms on the internet, such as bullying, harassment, stalking and doxxing through a telephone helpline, textline, pro-bono legal assistance and counselling services.
Partnership With The Police & Other Stakeholders
The Singapore Police Force (Police) will be piloting an initiative to provide support for select serious sexual assault cases by interviewing the victim on-site at SHECARES@SCWO premises.
SHE has also engaged and will partner with various other stakeholders across the entire ecosystem to provide comprehensive support to victims.
- Ministry of Law (MinLaw) and Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI)
- Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and National AntiViolence and Sexual Harassment Helpline (NAVH)
- SCWO and Pro Bono SG (PBSG)
- TSMP Law Corporation / TSMP Foundation (TSMP)
- Internet Platforms (namely, Bigo, Facebook, Google, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, Twitter, dating and gaming platforms)
Centre Operational Hours
- Helpline (8001 01 4616): Mon to Fri, 9am to 9pm
- Textline (6571 4400): Mon to Fri, 9am to 9pm
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Counselling (by appointment only): Mon to Fri, 9am to 6pm
- Legal clinic (by appointment only): Every 1st, 3rd & 5th Wed of the month, 7pm to 9pm